Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Church Basketball and the Boot Scootin' Boogie

So I've played sports all of my life and have never gotten a serious injury. I've never had any major surgeries or anything thats kept me down...until church basketball last Saturday. So to take this injury back a little further, over Christmas I was playing indoor soccer with my cousins and totally rolled my ankle really bad. I did the whole RICE stuff (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and it was pretty much almost better, and in the past couple of weeks I've played tennis and soccer on it, so I "thought" it was fine - first mistake. Then Saturday at our church basketball game I was trying SO hard to guard this girl (our team is pretty intense and since basketball is NOT my forte, I have to try really hard) she kind of pushed me and I heard a POP and rolled the same ankle the exact same way, and this time its much worse. It swelled so bad it was seriously as big as a golf ball! The team kept playing but we lost the game because we had almost no subs...bummer. Now I'm sporting a huge cankle (calf-ankle, or where there's no distinction between your calf and ankle). Here's some photos for your enjoyment:

Sick huh? What happened to the innocent days of church basketball in Merced 1st ward when the scores were something like 16-12? I liked those church bball days! So anyways, on with the story (I iced it and elevated it and got the swelling to go down a little bit). Saturday night we had a ward V-day activity at the church and after the games we had a dance and sometimes I just can't resist - second mistake. So, despite my hurt ankle, I decided to jam hard with Kim to some footloose, dancing queen, and some other singing group hits, do the limbo competition, and shake it to some Beyonce. Then the Boot Scootin' Boogie starts and I mean come on, who can't resist a little line dancing? So I proceed to get my cowgirl on and jump around doing the whole thing and all of a sudden my ankle is killing and it had swelled up even more! My dad informed me that I shouldn't have done the Boot Scootin' Boogie, because it gets you every time...definitely words of wisdom. I've got one word for me and my decisions: GENIOUS! So as a result, I'm sitting here at work with my ankle wrapped and my leg elevated. I'm a total gimp and everyone is having a heyday with it! But it actually is really funny so I'm laughing to!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Debbie, that looks beyond painful!! At least you were having fun, right? :) Hopefully your ankle is doing better! Once we're up in Seattler, we'll have to get together when you come to visit your parents. Hope everything else is going well!

    ReplyDelete